These 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers will interest you
1. We have no agreement with Nigerian govt to end strike by December 9 – ASUU
The national leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) said on Wednesday the union’s negotiating team did not reach an agreement with the Federal Government to end the eight-month strike on December 9.
2. 474 new COVID-19 cases take Nigeria’s total to 70,669. Deaths, recoveries updated
Nigeria on Wednesday recorded 474 fresh COVID-19 cases.
3. National Assembly to propose 30-day formation of cabinet by president, governors
The National Assembly may compel the country’s next president to constitute his cabinet at least 30 days after inauguration or risk impeachment by the parliament.
4. ‘National Assembly can summon Buhari on national issues,’ Reps Leader replies Malami
The Deputy Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, Toby Okechukwu, said on Wednesday the National Assembly has the power to summon President Muhammadu Buhari on national issues, including the current security challenges in Nigeria.
5. Nigerian govt approves N58.5bn for road projects in Kano, Kaduna, FCT
The Federal Government on Wednesday approved N58.5 billion for reconstruction and rehabilitation of roads in some parts of the country.
6. NSE: Royal Exchange, Ardova, Mutual Benefits top losers as stocks shed N7bn
The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) recorded more loses on Wednesday as negative sentiments persisted, causing profit-taking in a number of stocks.
7. NCC orders mobile network operators to suspend sale, registration of new SIM
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has ordered mobile network operators to instantly suspend the sale and activation of new Subscriber Identification Module (SIM) cards in order to ensure the audit of the Subscriber Registration Database (SRD).
8. Naira devaluation could negatively impact foreign currency loans –Report
Naira devaluation against other currencies around the world could weigh on loans sourced in foreign currencies and, in so doing, weaken the capital base of banks, the Afrinvest Banking Sector Report for 2020 issued on Tuesday said.
9. Naira weakens on parallel market as external reserves shrink by $452m in a month
Naira weakened slightly against the United States dollar on the black market Tuesday, changing hands at N483 as Nigeria’s foreign exchange reserves declined by $452 million in almost one month with a balance of $35.211 billion as of 4th December.
10. Benzema fires Madrid to UCL knockout; Ajax drop to Europa, Inter crash out
A brace by Kareem Benzema on Wednesday night was enough to take Real Madrid through to the knockout stages of the Champions League.