The federal government’s Presidential Steering Committee has declared 108 passengers from Brazil, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and India wanted for violating COVID-19 quarantine protocol.
The PSC chairman, Boss Mustapha, disclosed this in a statement on Sunday in Abuja.
Mr Mustapha said the persons arrived in Nigeria between May 8 and 15 through the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, and Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, after the federal government’s new COVID-19 regulations.
On May 1, 2021, the PSC issued a travel advisory for passengers arriving in Nigeria from Brazil, India, and Turkey.
Under the new measures, passengers arriving from or who have visited any of the countries within 14 days before the visit to Nigeria must follow mandatory arrival quarantine and testing protocols in designated facilities.
“The PSC has, however, observed that while most of the arriving passengers dutifully observed the guidelines, some Nigerians and foreigners have violated them in contravention of the provisions of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Regulations Protection, 2021,” said Mr Mustapha.
The SGF added that the 108 passengers had been declared “persons of interest” as they posed a considerable danger to overall public health.
“Members of the public are by this notice advised that these persons of interest constitute an immediate health hazard to the society.
“They must therefore transport themselves safely to the nearest state public health departments within 48 hours of this notice for immediate evaluation,” he said.
Mr Mustapha said Nigerians should also call the Port Health Services, Federal Ministry of Health, on 08036134672 or 08032461990 for further directions.
He explained that the PSC should, in addition, take further steps to sanction the violators, adding that the measures included disabling their travel passports for a period not less than one year.
“cancellation of the visas or permits of foreigners that have abused our hospitality and prosecution under the 2021 Health Protection Regulations” are among measures likely to be taken against the on-the-run passengers.
The government said it would publish an additional list of “Batch II” defaulters in a subsequent announcement.
“The identified passengers, their names, nationalities, passport numbers, airlines, and dates of arrival, will be published in national dailies,” he said.