These 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers will interest you.
1. Buhari approves N6.45bn for oxygen plants to tackle COVID-19
President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday approved the release of N6.45 billion for the setting up of gas plants in 38 locations nationwide to enhance the treatment of COVID-19 patients who require oxygen.
2. Buhari inaugurates national oil and gas excellence centre
President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday revealed that his administration was working on strengthening the nation’s position as regional leader in the oil and gas industry.
3. Bandits and kidnappers should get death penalty —Progressive Governors Forum DG
The Director-General, All Progressives Congress (APC) Progressive Governors Forum (PGF), Salihu Moh. Lukman, on Thursday advocated for the death penalty for kidnappers, bandits and their beneficiaries.
4. 4000 inmates released to decongest custodial facilities — Minister
Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, on Thursday revealed that 4,000 inmates had been released so far under the Federal Government Amnesty Programme to decongest custodial centres in the country.
5. Buhari re-appoints Hadiza Usman as NPA MD, approves board members for NPA, TCN
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the re-appointment of Hadiza Bala Usman as Managing Director of Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) for another five years.
6. Nigeria recorded N9.30tr exports in eight months – Trade Office
Nigeria’s exports to trade partners across the world in the first eight months of 2020 stood at N9.30 trillion, figures from the Nigeria Office for Trade Negotiation (NOTN) revealed.
7. Naira falls against dollars on Wednesday
Naira put up a poor performance against the dollar at the Investors and Exporters (I&E) window on Wednesday as trading closed at N394.17k per dollar.
8. FG, States, LGAs share N619.343bn for December 2020
The Federal Government, 36 states and Federal Capital Territory (FCT) as well as 774 local government councils shared the sum of N619.343 billion as federation allocation for the month of December 2020.
9. Rivers residents, pensioners criticise Wike over N500m Sokoto donation
Residents and pensioners of Rivers State Thursday expressed their displeasure over Governor Nyesom Wike’s donation of N500 million to rebuild the Sokoto Central Market which was destroyed by an inferno.
10. EPL: Liverpool’s title defence suffers setback as 68-game unbeaten run at Anfield ended
Liverpool’s hopes of defending the Premier League title this season suffered a huge setback after they were beaten 1-0 by Burnley at Anfield on Thursday.